View Single Post
Old July 9, 2020   #9
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I cut the last of the parsnips down today. The seeds weren't quite finished but they should finish on the stalk. The first finished seeds were only about a week ago and I used them for about 80 row feet, heavily overseeded imo. That was one flower stalk out of all of them..maybe 5% of the seed? 2%? There will be plenty for next year, that is for sure. Amazing numbers of ladybugs and their earlier stages on the stalks. I have all the cut stalks in a big plastic bin under the carport. When the ladybugs are ready to fly, they can go on their way.

The last couple weeks I did get some kind of bug covering up the stalks near the top. I don't know if it was some kind of scale or aphids or something else. Basically brown/gray flecks. Seems I forgot to take a pic. Can try tomorrow, pic of cut stalks. It had been so dry, there was never any rain to wash them off and they flourished for a week. I didn't really want to spray anything due to the good bugs around, but I hit a few outside flower trusses without ladybugs with soap. It seemed to thin them out some
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote