View Single Post
Old July 12, 2008   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Jay -- this is an important topic for me as well, as I also have the dreaded 'todes.

I've been thinking of posting about this for quite a while so we can hash out this important issue beyond the usual (mostly useless) dogma and tips.

Looking forward to hearing more about your process, especially if it involves something more than just simple crop rotation and/or regularly adding plenty of organic matter. Don't leave us in suspense...

One thing I have learned so far is that is best (at a minimum) to avoid planting a fall crop in the same area as a spring crop was planted if one can avoid it.

I am also extremely impressed with the results I've experienced with Dazitol -- a mustard/hot pepper based product that is used to pretreat the soil. I replanted in the same area I used last year, and it was not a problem at all with the Dazitol. From looking at the roots of the plants I've pulled so far, galling was very minimal as compared to last year.

Had one of the best years ever, both in terms of overall productivity, general plant health, and duration of harvest. I'm definitely past peak harvest, but am still picking tomatoes here and there.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote