View Single Post
Old August 27, 2013   #6
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Did you have a hot spell (~90 degree temps) about two weeks ago? Beans take about two weeks to mature, so if the flowers didn't pollinate back then, your lack of production may be showing up now.

I know you're trialing Jeminez. Probably not your problem this year, but...
it can overproduce, and if you let all pods go to seed, it may quickly de-leaf and die
It was 80 or above on only 4 days in August; the biggest heat wave was 83 & 85 on Aug 18-19.

Jeminez is still producing a few more beans than the others.

"Overproduce"? So far it has not produced more than I can eat, but I planted only about 10 seeds.

At one garden, I've been letting Blue Coco go to seed because some pods are at the top of the trellis where I can't reach them, and I was picking an average of 100 beans a day for a while. There are so many beans going to seed that I've had to shore up the trellis every time I've been there. But the plants are greener and more lush than any of my beans at other locations, and Blue Coco is still producing some new beans! I started dehydrating the Blue Coco snap beans when I couldn't keep up, and they're pretty good as crunchy snack food.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote