View Single Post
Old September 7, 2013   #3
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

My Son brought me these seeds when he came to Mexico to visit us (he is a sucker for anything new!)

I must say the Super Sauce was a surprise...BIG fruit, about 1 1/2 lbs average for me and about the size of a softball. VERY dry, nearly seedless and for a paste tomato, flavor is pretty darn good.

Burpee says this tomato is an indeterminate but it acted much more like a semi-determinate for me. Early heavy fruit set but then not much more fruit set until end of season. Plants were 3-5 foot tall whereas my heirlooms go 7 foot and up. EXCELLENT drying tomato...I never used it for sauce.

I think I will stabilize this as I liked it enough to try. I have previously stabilized Burpee's "Big Mama" which is now a staple in my garden and was a super easy tomato to stabilize as the fruits are as uniform in size and shape as can be.

From my limited grow out, I can recommend it. These tomatoes are so dense in texture you could use them as canon balls! Also, as the plants are a smaller size they would be a plus for those gardners with limited space.