View Single Post
Old April 30, 2013   #53
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I just love the ease of application of this stuff. I ordered quite a bit of it but I am using it rather fast. I have been using the vegetable formula on all my seedlings, onions, young tomatoes and peppers, carrots, cabbage, lettuce and squash and the results have been very good so far. My tomatoes are still showing the same problem they had last year even though they are growing and blooming great. That problem is a slight iron deficiency which is probably more a case of my soil being slightly too alkaline than a shortage of iron. Next time I fertilize my tomatoes I will add just a touch of chelated iron to my solution before using it. I had to do that last year and the year before with Miracle Grow and it really took care of my problem. The problem seems to go away completely once the plants get really big but if it is not treated it can cause real problems for some of the young plants new growth. I'm slowly getting my ph closer to where it should be by not liming and using some fairly acidic soil amendments like cottonseed meal but it is a slow process.

Do you see any problem with adding a little of the powdered iron chelate to the Tomato Food just before applying it?

I also use a bit of humic acid in my garden hose end sprayer sometimes when watering or fertilizing. It seems to aid the plants a bit in their uptake of nutrients. Should it be applied separately or just mixed in the sprayer with the fertilizer? I don't want to add anything to the fertilizer that will lessen its effectiveness.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote