View Single Post
Old February 3, 2006   #1
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Default Oaxacan Jewel (PL)

Anyone have experience with this one? Here is the info I have to date. I have grown Lucky Cross once - and while the flavour was fabulous, production was low and it was very late. This variety appears to be about two weeks earlier? Tried Virginia Sweets last year, and I suppose typical of most bicolours just did not have the taste I was looking for, although a beautiful one to look at. Really trying to finalize my grow list (would like one bicolour), and this one's been on it since I received seeds

This little gem from Oaxaca has a wonderfully intense, lingering fruity flavor. Exceptional! One of the great surprise of the 2003 season. Bicolored, medium to large size fruits covered with very long petioles (left picture). Marbled flesh. Medium size, potato-leaf plant. High seed purity. Very rare! From the mountains of the state of Oaxaca, Mexico (zapotecs). Highly recommended. 75 days. 5" smooth beefsteak fruits; unlike most beefsteak varieties, this is orange (not yellow) with a red starburst on the bottom; excellent sweet flavor.MI AU L 99 - from CV
Leland Austin, Ann Arbor, MI
Not listed in Garden Seed Inventory v.5