View Single Post
Old September 17, 2010   #45
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

While we are still very early in the seed processing, I thought I would post a few of the varieties we've gotten to so far.

Ashleigh,
Aussie,
Cowlick's Brandywine,
Orange Fleshed Purple Smudge,
Yugoslavian,
Green Doctors Frosted,

Those are the new-to-me varieties I remember off the top of my head.

We haven't gotten a whole lot of seed from any of the varieties as some of them only have had a small amount of ripe fruit so far. But even a few varieties we've done a 5 gal bucket, we haven't gotten a lot of seed. Must be the year or something. Last year 5 gal would give me 2-6 oz of seed. This year most are only giving about 1/2 oz or less.

For some varieties I know it's because they just don't make a lot of seed, like the oxhearts and romas. For others tho, it just seems like it's the year. For some of the varieties I will be able to go back and pick more as many still have green fruit and the plants are still alive.

For some tho, the heavy rains this summer stunted or outright killed some varieties. I tried to not put the new varieties in areas known to be wet, but there were more wet spots than we knew about this year.

I know a few of those varieties are going to be in demand, but no orders on any of these yet as they are just drying and will need to be germination tested before I will send anything out.

Hopefully everything will be as good as usual, but every now and again a variety will surprise me and be a crummy germinator. That's why I wait til I can test.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote