View Single Post
Old June 15, 2013   #56
Mlm1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
I can't help but notice that it seems like the grafted plants that get their own cage and are allowed multiple leader stems are putting out about the same quantity and size fruit as those single vine trained plants in the 5gal buckets; but the 5-gal plants seem to take up 1/4 or less the volumetric space. Or am I misinterpreting the pics? I'm just curious if one can get more fruit for the same area with the English-trained matrix method.
-naysen
Naysen, I came up with the "goal post - English trained Matrix" system after seeing how market growers use their valuable greenhouse space for tomato growing (single stems, one foot spacing, tied to the greenhouse rafters). I didn't have or need a greenhouse in California. I just needed the "rafters"to tie the strings to, hence the goal posts. I know I get more tomatoes (in poundage) per square foot than I did when I used this same space for unpruned tomatoes. I also get to trial 128 plants vs 30. Now, if I had 5 acres of healthy rich soil would I put up a Goal Post? I don't think so. Also, If I didn't have fusarium in my soil I wouldn't use pots. I would plant in the ground.
As far as the grafted plants go, they will make up for their slow start. The way I see it the grafted plants and the single stem potted plants are two different animals (or should I say plants). The grafts just get stronger as the summer progresses while the single stems start to wane. I think the combination of early single stem and later grafted plants works very well for me.

So Raybo, how about one grafted Purple Bumblebee for an Arkashin?
Marla

Last edited by Mlm1; June 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Mlm1 is offline   Reply With Quote