View Single Post
Old May 18, 2020   #24
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Beautiful plants! Are some of the short and sweet's similar to like Vilma and Venus?
Pete
Well I’m really not trying to achieve something similar to what’s already available there would not be much fun in that. Breeding micro to micro is the easy way to get a micro of course which mostly explains why so many are very similar, to point of indistinguishable in many cases. So many mainly identical red or yellow cherries already.
The main goal of this project originally was to see what could be done about adding some flavour to the equation and to do that it needed to come from somewhere else besides a fairly nondescript flavoured micro and so I crossed several standard micros, (Venus was one I used)the best ones I’ve tried with full size indeterminate beefsteaks that I really love the flavour of.
The very wide cross resulted in some small dwarfs selected out of a very big F2 grow-out with the help of my good friend Teresa S in North Carolina.
We have several micros including a green cherry and green striped saladette size on a micro plant which Are flavourful and pretty unique. The project has also expanded beyond micro to other small indeterminate dwarfs that had great flavour. Now at F4 and F5 the challenge is to finish stabilizing them maintaining the big tomato taste in the small package.
I think they are interesting and quite different and that is my goal.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote