View Single Post
Old February 5, 2011   #9
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Last year my hubby was helping to move my pepper plants out during the day and in at night. I had them all in a 7' x 8' trailer that I couldn't move by myself. They were all in quart pots and about 16 inches tall, really beautiful. Well, I didn't check one night if they were brought in and the next morning they had all been hit by frost. I literally cried. It was early May here with plant out time in two weeks and I had planned on selling about half of the plants. No one would want these now. I pulled off all the dead leaves, was really careful with them from then on, and in three weeks they had regrown some good looking leaves (although they didn't look good enough to sell in my opinion) I planted them all in my own garden and had tons of peppers last year. Getting an early start and putting out such big plants of peppers and eggplants gave me my first really great harvest of those. Usually with my shorter season, I would be lucky to get two or three eggplants per plant. Last year at the end of season my pepper and eggplants were almost 3 1/2 feet tall. Unfortunately the cauliflower and broccoli that got snowed on didn't fare so well, once planted they just went to seed and never developed heads. So I have learned my lesson but that doesn't mean that mistakes will never happen again. At least you still have the time and the weather to start again
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote