View Single Post
Old August 5, 2017   #48
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHeat View Post
Understood. I want to use the bleach spray prevention for fungus diseases. The mite juice is for mites and my current priority. Bill has recipes for both but I am thinking of combining both into a single spray. Adding the Clorox to the mite mix (basically DE, Permethrin, Dawn, 5 oz Clorox, and gallon of water). This should address both concerns in a single spray.. People have mixed Clorox and Permethrin to treat Scabies (per internet) and the DE for swimming pools is actually sold by Clorox and has bleach in it. So I am thinking all together will address it all.
I don't think it is a good idea to mix the bleach in with the Permethrin. Bleach is highly reactive and there is no telling what it might do in combination with Permethrin but I am certainly no chemist. I have never done it and don't intend to do it. I have however mixed a copper spray in with the Permethrin, DE and Dawn and it worked fine. The copper is less likely to damage leaves stressed by the mites than bleach so I think it might be the wiser coarse of action. Your biggest problem right now is stopping the mites. By adding a copper fungicide in your mix you can also help with retarding disease problems without risking shriveling up too many leaves.

The damage from the mites is going to cost you a lot of foliage. I think using the bleach spray right now might cost you more foliage than you can afford to lose on some of those plants. I am a firm believer from long experience in the diluted bleach spray for foliage diseases but there are times when it is not advisable because of damaged leaves that don't necessarily have diseases. I really think you should wait on the bleach spray until you get your mite problem under control. You might even find that removing the mite problem along with a little copper spray will negate the need for the bleach spray.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote