View Single Post
Old October 5, 2014   #45
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
I am enjoying reading it, too. We stay in New Smyrna Beach for a couple of months in the winter. Does that make me an honorary Fellow Floridian? As I rip out the gardens up here, my thoughts go to my next growing opportunity during our much awaited trip back to Florida.
Doesn't appear that anyone in NSB grows many vegies at all, so it is good to hear of your successes.
We can't even get a nice tomato plant to buy to put on the nice south facing patio when we arrive in January. I put a couple of self watering pots there every year and they save them for me. Last year, we didn't bother with anything but herbs and flowers. I have a volunteer Matina potted up and I will try to nurse it along until we come down. She is blooming already. I started the parent plant on the patio last February and nursed it along. She had toms on when she was planted out in late May and produced so many tomatoes it was unbelievable.

Fiishergurl, you will really like Cherokee Tiger Large. I grew it this summer (thanks for the seeds ginger2778) and it was beautiful and productive of great tasting gorgeous tomatoes. My husband brought the last one in yesterday and the plant will be pulled as soon as I can get to it. I love the dwarfs as they bring tomato growing opportunities to places where they never existed before. Will be on the watch for Sweet Scarlet release, kayrobbins. I was trialing Dwarf Sweet Scarlet Heart this year and think that has much to offer and I hope it will be out there soon.

You have mentioned how hot it has been. I have that little widget up on my screen so I see the temperatures in NSB every day, and I thought they had been milder this year. Maybe because of being coastal. It is cold and gray here, and memories of the intensely bad winter last year make me shudder. Of course, last weekend was mid seventies and beautiful and we ate out on the patio. Go figure.

Wish I could join you at the swap next weekend. That's quite the story, ginger2778. Hang in there. Nancy
Hi Nancy, I wish you were down here too. I never grew Cherokee tiger, but I think I sent you Cherokee Lime Stripes, right? I have a couple of beautiful seedlings of BKX which I am going to do a final transplant of today, because this am a cold front finally came through, and the low was 69F, with low humidity and bright sunshine. Glorious! Great day to put my gorgeous seedlings in their Earthboxes, which are replenished and waiting for them.
I think you definitely qualify as an honorary Floridian. I'll be the first one to vote aye!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote