Thread: Puck Tomato
View Single Post
Old August 14, 2017   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Depends what you plan to do with them I think.
Fresh eating vs cooking or canning which is what I think they were specifically developed for-processing.
For that purpose, productive early red determinates have a very useful place in a vegetable garden. I have grown Rosabec,cannabec , and Superbec of this group and am developing an interest in collecting vintage Canadian tomato introductions. I think there are some good genetics worth preserving in many of those older and infrequently grown varieties.
Not to derail Black Bear's thread about puck, I can start a separate thread on the topic.
KarenO
For many years I had a good friend named Raymond Tratt from Quebec, he grew lots of tomatoes in a large garden just outside of the city,and he too wanted to preserve,make more well known, some of the varieties that had been bred in Quebec.

I told him I thought they would get known better if he sent them to Glenn Drowns at Sandhill Preservation, and he did.

Right now I don't know where I put my 2017 catalog but I looked in the 2013 and found many,such as Superbec, Canabec, and I can't remember the others.

So checking out Glenn's website listings might be a good place to look for seeds.

And I say that since I think the Canadian version of seed listings here at Tville might well have gone defunct although anyone interested can check that out. It turned out that many who were not Canadians were putting up listed varieties.

Well,it looks like I was wrong, they are still in business,which might be an alternative place to get seeds. I didn't check to see if only Canadians could list and only Canadians could request.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Seed...&bih=788&dpr=1

Carolyn