View Single Post
Old March 5, 2015   #4
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I have established my own times to plant, and will adjust as the years go by. Right now I start peppers March 1st and Tomatoes March 15. I have lights so I could even start them earlier. I have a cold frame so I can get them out before plant out date. Well in your zone (my zone too) it helps to have a head start as some do develop late in the season, the bigger you can get the plant the better. Especially with peppers who seem to hit their stride about the first frost date! Well OK they do start producing before that, but you want to make sure you have decent size at the start. . Putting them out early is a mistake too. It sets them back if chilled. Anyway so I can get them out early in the cold frame they are fully acclimated by the time of plant out. I don't lose time if we have a cold spring, they just stay in the cold frame longer. This system has worked well for me.
Plant out here is around May 15th, but my plants are outside by April 15th , if not earlier.
The cold frame gives me 20 degrees. So when it's 50F outside it's 70F in the cold frame.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote