View Single Post
Old July 15, 2014   #32
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I culled out San Marzano this year because of problems with the seedlings. Upon further reading see it comes from a dry region with a long season, so I would think brokenbar could grow excellent examples. Costoluto Genovese is more suited to my environment even though it too is from a warmer region than mine. Seems to do better than San Marzano. San Marzano is from a mountainous region, so maybe it's the elevation? I agree though you are very correct about being influenced by climate, but I would argue with Costoluto Genovese it is much less of a factor than with San Marzano.
Tomatoes are funny. Russo Sicilian Togetta seems to perform well in Mexico, but also in Michigan. As brokenbar mentions, it grows well no matter what. She seems spot on in that observation. It is out performing all my other cultivars. I will be growing this one again!
Thomas Jefferson notes growing Costoluto Genovese in his Notes on the State of Virginia in 1782. Man that's a loooong time ago!

I often hate the Michigan winters, but must say our middle of the road environment allows us to grow anything. Brokenbar cannot grow strawberries and currants. Even most raspberries will not grow well there. So I'm pretty happy to be here.
See my report on pineberries
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=32958&highlight=pineberry
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote