View Single Post
Old March 28, 2019   #22
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark View Post
I start seeds the way Carolyn has always taught: Jiffy Mix Seed Starting Mix with no fertilizer until they grow a set of permanent leaves, then transplant into 3" cells filled with MG Potting Mix.

Those always work well for me, but I'm going to change my timing a bit this year. I always start seeds on Mar. 15 and plant out in the ground during the first week of May - that's because our average last killing frost date here is April 15 and, not liking frozen seedlings, I've played it safe.

However, my tomato seedlings are growing bigger than I want them AND other gardens around here are usually a couple of weeks ahead of me in getting ripe summer veggies. I'm going to get braver this year and, keeping an eye on the forecasts, try to get tomatoes and peppers in the ground as soon after April 15 as I can.

Hope I'm not out there after dark covering seedlings to try and keep them from freezing.

Im using Pro Mix BX in 72 cell to germinate and give them a dose of liquid fertilizer when they get true leaves, under cheap shop lights, seems to be working well.
I've started many too early for years, but not this one...
I don't want the earliest tomato of the year... I want the Best one!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote