View Single Post
Old April 6, 2016   #31
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron thanks for the update they are looking good. My observations:

#1 I would pull up a bit so that the soil is not so close to the growing leaf node. It just seems to be planted a bit too deep.

#3 I agree that it appears unbalanced. Go right ahead and remove the lower leaf.

#4 May also need the lowest leaf removed. Use your good judgement.

The cuttings appear to be doing well and not overly stressed. They are orientating themselves towards the light. If they seem happy, then I would leave the light where you have it for now. Lower the light in 5-7 days and see what happens. If they wilt, then back the light up a bit.

You are doing well so far. Let's hope that you get a few to work. It is much harder to root new plants this late in the season. You usually want to do this while the plants are in active growth not slowing down. (For those reading this Ron is in Australia where it is quite late in the season). Next time try this in February or before and it will be MUCH easier.

As far as the watering, go light. Keep it moist but not wet. You do not want the plants to dry out, yet you want the plant to put out roots in search of water. Soggy is asking for disease to set in. Moist and damp is what you want. Perhaps use a spray bottle to water. My concern is the wetting agent keeping it too moist. Find a way to make it work for you.

If you see any brown spots on the leaves, remove them. Keep some humidity going in your chamber but not so much as to grow molds and fungus. I still am concerned that these scions might have come from plants with disease. It is quite likely in fact, due to the lateness of your growing season. I would start to treat your new plants soon to prevent disease. (Marsha in another thread had some good advise).

As soon as you notice some new growth then it is time to begin using a dilute fertilizer on them and giving them some direct light.

Enjoy!