View Single Post
Old August 10, 2020   #47
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I invested in about 300.00 worth of nematodes a couple years ago for the garden. I didn't see much in the way of an impact last year but this year I didn't see, to see many squashbug or SVB. I have had the same patch of squash for the first time ever in my garden. I did have a couple die off and we did spray a couple times but nothing regularly this Summer. i have to take that back... Kevin just said he sprayed Mustang Max 5 times this Summer which is a 1 day wait to reenter . it is a major insecticide group needing a pesticide license as it takes very little to be effective but with a one day wait to re enter the bugs can be back in in a moment.
so, since we did that a couple years ago... I wasn't expecting anything but was willing to spend the money on them to see if it helped any. This year we haven't replanted ONE zucchini plant since the beginning of the season.I have not seen any squash bugs on the plants. several years ago we were planting new seeds almost daily trying to get a few zucchinis to produce a few fruits before they died. We do spray once at the beginning of the season after we plant and only again if we see a squash bug...with a restricted spray called mustang max. it stinks to high heaven! we don't use but 1/4 of a teaspoon in 4 gallons of water. it is a 1 day phi so we can spray the stems one day and harvest the next if we were to see a colony.. I have so many zukes i am tossing them over the fence for the chickens at least once a week.