View Single Post
Old October 16, 2017   #30
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I am normally a peaceable person but not when it comes to rodents. Relocation would not be an option for rats in my yard.
There are no rats in Alberta where I came from but there are on the island. The neighborhood is patrolled by a number of cats, including my own and I have't seen any evidence of them yet. I would have no hesitation to murderize them thoroughly if I did.
yeech. disgusting creatures.
KarenO
Traps, baits, exterminators I will resort to immediately if I ever see sign of rodent in my house!

As for 'relocation' of rats nesting right next to my door, I didn't exactly issue passports and visas. The first three leaped out and bolted the moment I pulled off the tarp. Yes I crushed down the burrows to force the others out. I fail to see what other option was available, nor any reason for me to have a direct hand in killing them other than driving them out of the safe place I unintentionally created. I will do everything to destroy or remove anything on my property that creates a habitat for them to exploit and get comfortable.

I fail to see what other steps I could or should have taken. Fence off the pile to prevent them from leaving? That pile is no more than 20 feet from my door, and let me tell you it is the worst place I can think of to have a rats nest. That pile is also history, it has to be deployed now before it freezes. How the heck would I keep the rodents from 'relocating' as I'm shovelling it off.

The fact is that rats have a habitat in the area because of wetlands and rivers and lots of human activity and homes. There are natural predators including foxes and hawks, and there are many dogs and cats as well. IMO driving them out into the open is the obvious thing to do, to reduce their chance of survival. Baits and traps in the garden would be a hazard for my neighbors pets and other wildlife, it is by no means a simple solution, so I hope there is no further sign of them lurking around that would force me to put out traps.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote