View Single Post
Old July 10, 2017   #482
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Too cold is not good because it slows the healing process to the point where the grafts have to stay in the healing chamber too long. However grafting in the heat of summer is even more difficult.

Bill
being a complete novice here, I was wondering why the preferred grafting technique is a simple slice. Makes it seem like a teeter toter doing the chop suey method.

Could you not slice the stem in 1/2 lengthwise on both specimens about 1/2" or more and THEN weld THAT together?

& does this "healing chamber" apparatus seem kinda gimmicky? or is it really useful? seems like you could create an applicable atmosphere that would be similar.

w/o applied experience here, it seems like there might be a better mouse trap on the horizon. IDK

...but in response to the spring weather, it seems like you could just "wrap" two plants together with some sort of dissolving tape and it would take. seems like it would be better than balancing a leafy top on a pencil tip.

Graft during early morning or just after sunset. At these times, the plant will be moving water from its roots to its leaves (transpiring) at a slower rate, which makes it less vulnerable to stress from grafting and the accompanying water loss. Ideally, you should carry out the grafting indoors and in a shaded location.[8]
  • If you can only graft the plants at another time, move them to a shady spot in the early morning of the day you plan to graft.

Last edited by My Foot Smells; July 10, 2017 at 11:38 AM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote