View Single Post
Old December 7, 2012   #37
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Zeedman-loved your report, as always. I think I've read them over on GW, beans and legumes before.
I'd be very interested in some of your yardlongs and Limas. Especially the Hopi, the black seeded Lima ( the thread switched pages and I can't switch back while typing this). The Sierra Madre yardlong sound beautiful.
I understand that you are often replenishing supplies or sending seeds to other places. If you happen to have something that might work in my climate would you'll shoot me a pm? I'm still trying to get a regular bean and Lima to work without success, although I have had great success with yardlongs and cowpeas we do love them but I would also love to get some homegrown Limas ( our favorite) and green beans. I've been close with Limas and rattlesnake beans but so far no pod set.
I'm trying some different timing this year to see what happens.
I completely understand if you don't have any seed that you can send, but if you have something, perhaps something that won't work for you because day length issues or heat/dryness needs, maybe that would be something perfect to send down my way. I am going to try some teparies this year, too, btw.
Although tepary beans are probably well adapted to your climate, I would advise caution. Articles I've read in the past stated that many cultivars which are presently available carried bean mosaic virus. If you grow them, it might be best to do so in a different area from your other beans. There is at least one virus-free cultivar, I've seen it growing on SSE's Heritage Farm... but they haven't (yet) offered seed for it. I will try to track down my field notes, but I think it was white seeded. Tracy, I'll send you a PM after I post this.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote