View Single Post
Old July 4, 2015   #29
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Awesome! Thanks so much!

Yesterday, I was rummaging around the GRIN database and seen one tomato variety donated back in the 1950s from Canada that was nameless but kinda fit the description: pink, medium, early but of course no image. With over 9,000+ varieties of Toms, Livingston's Acme could be in there but it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Yes, I know to receive seeds that it has to be a research or education but I know a couple people at the MSU extension who also teach classes there and maybe they'll do a research class on heirloom vs modern hybrid growouts.

Plus I'm a Scout leader with both Cubs and Boy Scouts. With the Cubs, we do an annual garden to teach kids gardening and donate the food to help feed the hungry (this year, most of the toms I grew out and donated to the Cub Scouts are Livingston seeds I bought from Mike/Victory. With the Boy Scouts, there's the Gardening merit badge and Plant Science merit badge (my son earned both last year) and I can make a request to obtain seed to satisfy Gardening MB Requirements 2a, 3b, 4 and 5 and offer to donate seed back to GRIN. The worst thing GRIN will say is No, right?
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote