Thread: The Red Fox
View Single Post
Old August 13, 2017   #41
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloz View Post
A few years ago I was awakened in the middle of the night by the eeriest of howls. It was a red fox outside my bedroom window. My cat was outside. When I got out on the deck I saw them just about nose to nose. I started throwing rocks at it to scare it away. I was finally able to drive it off. Never let my cat stay out at night after that.
The fox hung around for a few days howling at night. A few days later I saw the fox walking down the middle of our road in the middle of the day like he was drunk. Never saw him again.
Had I had a firearm in my hand that night I would have eliminated the fox the spot.
Squirrels and chipmunks are another problem here. If I don't take some out every year I will not get anything in my garden. This year the chipmunks ate every cucumber seedling that came up. I planted 2 packages of seeds and have zero cucumber plants. The squirrels eat tomatoes. They also ate every single apple on my apple tree this year and it was loaded with apples. One year I eliminated 42 chipmunks and 20 squirrels. Don't bother telling me about haveaheart traps. Been there done that. My wife is even so mad at chipmunks that she just came in after setting a trap for them.
I use a PCP pellet gun. Always aware of my backstops. They are very accurate.
I have deer and rabbits in my yard every day. I don't bother them because they don't bother my vegetable garden. They do damage the flower garden but that's not my food.
A groundhog moved in under my deck and dug a hole way deep along my foundation. You can bet your bottom dollar he will be gone as soon as I can catch him in the open.
This house has been in my family for almost 50 years. We never had deer or rabbits here for the first 30 years. The hunting regulations make it almost impossible to hunt in this state and that has contributed to the animal explosion.

Cloz
Off hand, I am unaware that fox can howl, they can scream and make other sounds, I thought only the "dog" family howled. That fox was also acting oddly and I would have been concerned about it being rabid.

Those are all animals causing trouble, yes? No problem eliminating them at all.

This fox hasn't caused any trouble unless it is by existing.

Last edited by imp; August 13, 2017 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added rabies sentence.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote