View Single Post
Old March 29, 2019   #9
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Do they still come covered in that awful netting material? Used them years ago but stopped cuz that netting was still wrapped around the roots at the end of the season. They did not decompose.
Best practice is to remove that netting when planting out. Even if they did decompose, it wouldn't be fast enough during one season. Same with those "cardboard" peat pots, always best to peel them off.

I've used them extensively over the years -and still do. There are (at least) 2 types of netting. The best is a very thin mesh, honeycomb-like, with a set or vertical perforations on the side, making it super easy to unzip the case and discard the netting. This is typically on the VERY large pucks by Jiffy.

Then there is a type of random, tight weave mesh made from either kevlar (i'm not making this up ) or a tougher material that's nearly impossible to tear by hand -you'd need scissors or better. I make sure I stay away from those.

Note that Jiffy pucks are made of peat, and many folks report trouble germinating peppers in them due to their chemistry. I'm beginning to conclude the same, as I've never had much luck with that combination. For many other situations, pucks can be handy.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote