Thread: Nikitovka Seeds
View Single Post
Old February 18, 2014   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaLola View Post
Hi, new to this forum. I hope it's ok for me to post here since the previous post was
October 2013. Hope it's not too old to discuss ...

I was looking at these seeds company. My grandfather was born in Ukraine so I have interests in it. He said that he had such delicious vegetables and fruits growing up near Black Sea. Especially tomatoes and watermelons.

I was able to find Ukrainian tomatoes elsewhere and have planted. However I am interested in this Nikitovka seeds - in particular the "Cranberry Sugar - Klyukva Sakhare"
https://www.nikitovka.com/201412/19/...to-detail.html

I believe the above is the link to them.
I'd prefer not to ship from Europe as it seems it may increase the possibility of damage or lost package. ???

Can someone give me advice on this? Or perhaps tell me what a similar variety of tomato is to these? As for this particular seed, is it easy to order from Nikitovka?

Thanks for any comments.
I looked through the tomato section, and there were many that were not Russian in origin.

My suggestion is to go to Tania's wonderful data website and check it out. She and her family moved here from the Ukraine and she lists many from the former USSR, now the CIS.

First, a link to her Home page and click on shortcuts at the top and see all the ways you can locate tomato varieties. I prefer the alphabetical way when I know the name of the variety.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Main_Page

Next, a link from her page for ones that are from the CIS, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, etc.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ssian_Tomatoes

She features over 4, 000 pages of varieties and on each page you'll usually find comments by others, pictures and seed sources when available.

She still has relatives in the Ukraine and gets some seeds from her mother and from other sites in the larger Russian area that sell seeds.

She prefers that folks use the original Russian names, but sometimes lists the same variety with its English translation, so be sure to check both.

I didn't check to see if she had the specific one you were looking at but there are hundreds of others that might interest you.

And yes, I think a couple of folks have linked to the same seed site you posted about because I recognized it right away

Finally, while I gave you the link to her Homepage if you look in the Plant and Seed source Forum, where you just started this thread, you'll see her very long thread as well, as a stikey, and she posts updates there quite frequently.

Carolyn

Editing to add that I didn't realize that this thread was started with a post about this seed company and I read them any comments, especially from Andrey in Belarus, and would even more strongly suggest you go to Tania's website. Someone who posted earlier in this thread said they were ALL Russian, but that's certainly NOT what I saw when I just looked at it.