View Single Post
Old November 24, 2008   #12
natural
Tomatovillian™

Hi Grub,

Varieties we sell:

The last few years I have averaged growing about 150 varieties, all heirlooms. In a given year, there are probably 15 -20 varieties (of the 40 or 50 new trials per year) that we don’t care for. We sell everything else.

My goals are usually to trial 40 to 50 new varieties in a given year. The remaining planting (900 plants total) is based on with what I like best. The past few years our tomatoes became extremely popular with restaurants, so I also factor color into the equation We always have 8 colors in a restaurant box for chefs.

One note here: We always control the amount of water the plants get. Thus, we never have tomatoes that are cracked or taste bland. I think this contributes to bringing out the best flavor of each variety.

Note: I'll post some additional info on sales to restaurants in Carolyn's thread.

Hot Sellers:

This is a VERY interesting question.

Short answer is Cherokee Purple, Brandywine, or any of the “black” tomatoes.

To be brutally honest, it is whatever I recommend. The popularity of heirloom tomatoes has exploded here. However, the vast majority of our customers seek out heirloom tomatoes purely for the taste. Thus, very few customers can name ANY variety of heirloom. For a few years, I was really into the “black tomatoes”. So now that is what everyone asks for first.

Again, I do try to ask what flavor preferences a customer may have before recommending a variety.

Production:

Production is not a main factor for me. This is only a hobby, so my sales goal is: “Make enough money to pay for the expenses incurred while “playing”. Fortunately, this has never been a problem. The profit is just a plus.

However…
This years winners were:

GMG – (I swear its true!) My first time growing it. This tomato MADE my year! This was a reminder of why I do this in the first place.

On a personal note : I almost did not plant a garden last year. It was the excitement over obtaining some GMG seed from some kind folks here at TV that spurred me past some health issues to continue growing. So thanks to all.

Other “best producers” were:

Green Giant, Orange Oxheart, Chapman, Kelloggs Breakfast, Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye and a “Mystery Pink” which is driving me nuts. I picked 13 1LB plus tomatoes off of one of these plants in one day, and I don't know what it is!

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote