View Single Post
Old April 4, 2006   #3
Mischka
TomatovilleŽ Administrator

Micro-coated aspirin is fine to use; it's the "enteric" coated ones that are not. (look like orange M&M's)

The micro-coating simply stops the aspirin from dissolving the moment that you put them into your mouth; easier to slide down your throat as you swallow it. All aspirin, even generic, is now micro-coated for this reason. The coating dissolves in seconds upon contact with moisture...hold them for more than a moment in your mouth and you'll find out... :wink:

Enteric-coated aspirin is designed to dissolve much more slowly in your stomach/upper GI tract to prevent stomach upset and to release the drug at a slower rate.

Off topic, but VERY important: if you are on an aspirin regimen for heart/arthritis, enteric-coated is the way to go. BUT, if you are having chest pains and take some aspirin in the hopes of decreasing the severity of a heart attack, do NOT take enteric-coated aspirin for this, unless you CHEW them before swallowing.

You want the benefit of having the aspirin being absorbed into your bloodstream ASAP. Aspirin is a powerful anti-coagulant and keeps red blood cells from sticking (clotting) to each other.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote