View Single Post
Old May 4, 2008   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Hilde, Mark bugged me again about my 2004 growout list and I did find it and will communicate with both of you.

Folks, Hilde is referring to KB that I sent Mark where one plant turned out to be as she described, a red RL heart.

He's been asking me what hearts/plums I grew in 2004.

Hilde, as I see it there's no reason at all to presume that KB has any PL in it's background, as in Cc, where the C could mutate to c. And that potential could exist with many varieties but the change from RL to PL for a single variety is not that common. The problem is that we have no idea of which varities are heterozygous for leaf form, as in Cc.

Yes, we have KBX, a PL KB, but that could have come about in several ways ala mutation and not just a spontaneous one involving just one gene pair. It's possible but not probable as I see it now.

In addition to the links given above, you might want to look at the 2nd edition of Carol Deppes book titled How to Breed Your Own Vegetables where there's an extensive list of tomato genes indicating which are dominant and recessive..

And while I still intend to send to you and Mark what I can, it's going to make much more sense when you've grown out your F2 PL and RL plants and see what they give you.

If it were a stray seed then you wouldn't be getting PL and RL's in the F2, as you know.