View Single Post
Old May 4, 2008   #1
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Default Is there a list of dominant and recessive traits?

Hi,

I have been reading the posts in this forum, because I have become very interested in tomato genetics. I am not a scientist though, and the gene list is confusing, it doesn't tell me what traits are dominant or recessive or partially dominant or recessive. Maybe I have overlooked something, but I can't seem to see where that is.

I am growing out some tomatoes that has the temporary name Kelloggs Breakfast Heart F2. Mark Korney grew the F1, which was supposed to be Kelloggs Breakfast, but produced red heart shaped fruit on a RL plant.

I sowed 21 seeds and got 50/50 RL/PL seedlings. This suggests as far as I know that KB has PL in it's background (Cc) and was crossed with a PL variety (cc). My interest in tomato genetics now exploded, but I can't seem to find answers to all my questions anywhere!

The little I know is:
Yellow skin is dominant to clear skin.
Red color is dominant to yellow color.
Regular Leaf is dominant to Potato Leaf.
Small size is partially dominant to larger size fruit.

I wonder about things like: Where does Orange fit in here? Is it considered a variation of yellow? How about shapes? What would be dominant of heart, globe, beefsteak, elongated plum, irregular shapes just to name a few? Where does bicoloration fit in? If you cross a bicolor variety with a single color variety, how would the offspring be? If you cross a tricolor variety with a bicolor variety, how would that offspring be? Also, within the main colors: If you cross a pale yellow (white) variety with a warmer yellow variety (For instance Hugh's x Azoychka), would the warmer yellow be dominant to the pale yellow? Where does the gene that causes the green-when-ripe varieties to stay green fit in? What happens if you cross a det. variety with an ind. variety?

Thanks!

Hilde
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote