View Single Post
Old April 10, 2008   #11
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Kim, from you have described, including asthetics and your desire to create your own pretty little paradise, I suggest finished and treated lumber, even if you have to search more. I think of the pile of treated 2 X 12 X 12's I have and wish I could email you enough to get started!

I really believe you will be happier with nice, attractive, finished and treated lumber for your beds. As to the two foot widths, be sure that's what you want. I did a lot of 4 X 12's, and this year I made some 5 X 12's which I like a lot. More versatile. With that extra foot you can do melons and corn better, and of course my new passion, strawberries. If I did it all over I'd probably make them 5 x 16, using 12 inch treated material. There is no scientific evidence that I am aware of that treated lumber will leach harmful chemicals that effect the plant or you. At least that's the research I've seen. If it's still a concern you can always line it with visqueen.

Suze did hers a lot like what you are wanting. Maybe she could give you some additional advice. I do know I wish I had more spacing than 4' between beds. It can get mighty crowded when the plants are full size.

Good luck! Take your time and get what you want. You'll be a lot happier.

Don