View Single Post
Old April 9, 2008   #1
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Default Another Raised-Bed Issue

I'm adding several raised beds this year. I have been pricing materials. I have priced pressure=treated, since arsenic is supposedly no longer an issue. Still, it does not come in the height I would like (6" (which equals 5'5, and therefore I would want to double up on the boards.)

The quy at the lumberyard suggested 10" high "rough pine - one side finished" - not treated, but apparently you can treat with with a brushed-on preservative. It is substantially cheaper (1/4 the price).

Any opinions or experience with treating pine as to how long it may last - if it is worth it to go this route vs. spending 75% more, biting the bullet, and going pressure-treated? I guess the other issue to consider is that we do live in Canada - April to October are relatively mild to hot, and plenty humid during July & August, but then we have the rain, snow and sometimes harsh winter weather from about November to March.

I don't think I'll be living here 15 years hence, but I don't like the idea of re-building everything in 5 or so years time.