View Single Post
Old April 7, 2008   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I would not bury fish or every cat in the neighborhood will come visit your garden and dig up the plants to get the fish.

Just use lots of compost. The 99 cent bags of compost at Wal-Mart are barely 10% compost. It's 90% sand and garbage. Black Kow is $4.62 a bag and is the good stuff. You can probably use one bag for 3-4 tomato plants.

You can water the plants with fish and seaweed emulsion instead of Miracle Gro liquid fert. There's also Hasta-Gro 6-12-6 liquid fert which I think is organic, check! Plus you can make compost tea if you have an aquarium store nearby to buy 2-3 airstones and a pump.

As for initial planting, I use Earl's method. About 2/3 cup of TomatoTone, 1/2 cup of Epsom Salt, and 1/3 cup of Bone Meal, plus a little bit of dolomitic lime mixed into the soil all around where the roots will be (about 1 cu ft of soil).

Again this is only my 3rd year and I still have a lot to learn about soil building. Each of my beds has a totally different mix of stuff since I seem to add 1 bed per year and use different ingredients each time. It's interesting just how depleted my cucumbers, beans, and strawberries bed got already after just 1 1/2 years. Those strawberry plants really took all they could get!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote