View Single Post
Old April 7, 2008   #1
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Default New Garden Spot, Maybe time to try Organic only.....

So this is only my second year growing tomatoes. I've changed my tomato garden spot to the other side of the yard where I will have about 17 plants in a 55' row. I've dug a whole for each plant, about 2' in diameter and about 1' deep. I mixed in a few bags of mulch (just ground up bark looks like) with the original soil (basically good old georgia clay) and filled the holes back up.
This is the method of soil ammendment I used last year in a different spot of the yard, i was satisfied with my results.
Last year I used Miracle Grow liquid thingy to water my toms occasionally. The rest of my watering was done via 5 gallon jugs with a pee hole drilled in the bottom. Fill it up it drains out in a couple hours. 5 gal. a plant every couple days.
This year I hope to do even better, and my attitude is that I would rather eat something organic especially if it's just as much of a pain as growing with a bunch of chemicals.
Plus this year my daughter will no doubt be all over the yard so using stuff to kill things will be out of the question....
I don't have specific questions as I haven't read up enough, however feel free to offer any suggestions you may have.....Thanks!
oh and no I haven't sent my soil off to have it analyzed....
new garden spot
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote