View Single Post
Old March 8, 2008   #10
bigdummy
Tomatovillian™

Default Wild leek / Ramps

If I understand correctly, In the north they are called wild leeks, while in the south they are called ramps.

I have probably five to six acres growing in my woods. They grow in patches and cover the forest floor with their lush green foliage in early spring. Where they thrive they pretty much take over the forest floor, crowding out everything else. By early summer when their leaves have dried off, they leave large patches of bare ground. Easy to find if you understand their habitat. Here in northern Wisconsin they are plentiful.

Their habitat is the same as ginseng. Where you find one you could find the other. Northerly slope, rich fertile, moist, and shaded hardwood forest.

For some years now I have been trying to move some out of the woods into the garden proper with mixed results.

I harvest buckets of them in the spring, and freeze and dry for later use. I always seem to run out well before spring. The taste of wild leeks is habit forming.

The seed is easy to harvest, and the live plants are easy to ship bare. I have been thinking of ways to capitalize in on this bounty, but live in the sticks with no gourmet restaurants around here.

I tried to upload seedhead pictures, but no luck.

I have been know to do as
Carolyn does.

Big Dummy
bigdummy is offline   Reply With Quote