View Single Post
Old February 23, 2008   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

What is the "science" behind the 20% increase in yield with red mulch? If it is reflective based, the small surface area in an EarthTainer would probably not have any effect. It would seem you would need a large reflective area out around the plant to have any meaningful impact. Right? (But I will be happy to try the experiment if you think I should).

Clemson U was the place where the red plastic mulch was developed and tested and it was for commercial gardeners who grow determinate type plants.

I was present at the NE fruit and vegetable conference when they made their first presentation.

Initial results did show around a 20% increase but since then almost everyone agrees that 10% is more like it.

And you have to have lots of room on all sides of the plant for the red stuff to see any result at all.

So.......you've got a plant that normally gives you 20 tomatoes and maybe you get two more withe red mulch.

is it really worth it? I don't think so. Not considering such a modest increase as opposed to the cost of the red plastic.