View Single Post
Old February 17, 2008   #32
flowerfarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Italian Seed & Tool is the same company as Gourmet Seed. Mailorder Garden is site #3 (who might be the same folks.)

And Harvest Moon fits in there somewhere as well, or used to.

I just got yet another catalog from Gourmet International yesterday, already had another one plus two Italian Tool ones and I plan to e-mail to correct a few item descriptions that bother me. I don't usually do that but so help me, when are folks going to recognize that Arkansas Traveler, for instance, was bred by the U of Arkansas and is not an heirloom variety.

And there are few other things as well.

Good thing, perhaps, that I don't have to buy much seed these days.

I wonder how much seed and money Carol Johnson is putting into her own personal vault these days.
I'm Carole Johnson and I'll answer your questions...I've put $4,500 of money in getting the BookandSeedVault.org set up with federal, state and Oregon Secretary of State paperwork.

I'm retired and live on Social Security. The concept of being prepared in the event of catastrophe is a 30 year passion of mine. Some of us would identify it as a "gut feeling," be readers of Edgar Cayce, in touch with AmerIndian lore or just plain think it's a good idea to have access to necessary tools, when necessary, without having to file everything in triplicate to pry it out of a government's hands.

The Norway Seed Vault is big money, big power and impossible to get to unless you have a north sea-worthy boat AND the ability to bore through the two five-foot-thick steel doors with an entrance between that is boobytrapped.
I understand that our politicians have proposed that America also have a seed vault--on the dark side of the moon. That should be handy when we need to get to it. Britain has a Millenium Seed Bank (their webpage is encyclopedic). If you're ever in need of when to harvest, how to harvest, how to store and when to plant exotic seeds--you will find the information at this site.
I've looked over all of your comments and find merit to nearly all of them. In another message I will respond fully. In the meantime, I welcome your critiques. The more brains; the better the product. Carole
flowerfarm is offline   Reply With Quote