View Single Post
Old March 24, 2006   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'm just chiming in with the others here.

When I moved in 1999 to my preesent location I threw out a carton of 500 peat pots and that tells you what I think of them, as in I hate them .

I also will never use Jiffy pellets either, for several reasons.

Jiffy Mix per se, yes, it's great, but not used with those compressed pellets.

What you use also depends on how many plants you're raising.

I always do the initial transpant from the seed starting container to plastic cells, 4 cells to the pack, 8 packs to a standard nursery size flat, for 32 plants to the tray. And the seedlings are grown to outside transplant size in those about 2 inch cells and that workls just fine.

About PV's mix.

Years ago when I didn't have my farmer friend Charlie to cadge mix from to fill my cells in the trays I used 1/2 good mix such as Jiffy Mix or Pro Mix and then 1/4 vermiculite and 1/4 perlite and that worked fine and cut down on the cost.

But I can also see a 1/3 moss, 1/3 perlite and 1/3 vermiculite working just as well, since all three would also be in a more expensive mix such as Jiffy or Pro or Metro or Fafard.

Moss, perlite and vermiculite are all available at nursery places in smaller bags and you mix your own. I can't speak to the box store locations b'c I never bought gardening stuff from them, but I don't see why they wouldn't have those things if they have a fairly complete gardening section.