View Single Post
Old January 25, 2008   #13
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

In two years of Blacktail Mountain, it was very prolific both years with 8-12 lb fruit. Most did ripen; overripening was a problem because I had not figured out when to pick. First year flavor was better because the rains came just before ripening time the second year. I am growing BTM this year.

Sugar Baby and Sweet Siberian did not do well for me. I think they just too small and either ripened and split or never did ripen and stayed quite bland.

Orangeglo was a very pleasant surprise but not in the small melon category. It was the sweetest, largest watermelon I have grown. In two hills of 5 seeds each hill, I harvested five melons over 40 pounds and seven melons between 20 and 30 lbs. Another several from 15 to 20 lbs later in the season that did not quite ripen fully, but were still pretty good.

Muskmelon varieties I have had good harvest results include Golden Gopher and Pride of Wisconsin.

This year I am adding Wilson Sweet to the watermelon list. Oregon Delicious, Sakata Sweet and Sugar Salmon will possibly join GG and PoW. I have room for three or four muskmelon varieties as I till up my yard for more garden space.