View Single Post
Old January 6, 2008   #13
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Daconil Fungicide

In 2008 I'll be growing outside for the first time, and need some advice regarding preventing diseases on my tomato and pepper plants. I'll also be growing lettuce and rhubarb but I realize they probably would not be sprayed with anything. We grew both when I was a kid and they were never protected in any way and were always ok. But I do remember the tomatoes & peppers being protected with some sort of powder (mid-70's).

I found this thread on Daconil on the last page of threads and thought it contained some great advice. Is there anything besides Daconil a gardener should be using on their plants to prevent diseases/pests? Or any special techniques that could be used?

Originally I was planning on growing 40-50 varieties of tomatoes/peppers (combined), but have since thought better of that idea. I'll probably end up with about 10-15 in-ground, and about 10-15 in containers. For my first year that will be hard enough to take care of. And I want to ensure proper spacing between the indeterminates.

Ironically, I'm asking about disease prevention, but my biggest problems may come from the possum, cats and squirrels that live next door to my mother's house (where I plan on gardening). When I visited my mother yesterday, I mentioned I was worried all the squirrels around her neighborhood might eat anything I grew. That's when she informed me her neighbor allows his backyard to overgrow with brush because he thinks he's giving the "wildlife" in the area someplace to live. That's where the aforementioned possum & cats live.
In the city!

If anyone could provide additional advice of what to use to prevent diseases/pests, I'd be grateful.

Gracias, Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote