View Single Post
Old November 24, 2007   #10
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarch View Post
It's nice to have remote wireless temperature monitoring. You may want to buy that here.
That is good reminder to buy more remote thermometers, those are cheaper here. I know some people who have built systems, where they have connected the temperature and humidity monitoring to a PC and that way they can even check the greenhouse via internet. I could be on a business trip and use my cell phone to check that the temperature and humidity in the GH are good. I'm planning some kind of drip irrigation system with a timer. I do already have battery operated timer valves; it would be cool to have remote controlled irrigation too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarch View Post
Very important to have automatic venting. You can cook your plants in a very short time on a sunny day. If you are getting fans or anything electrical, make sure that the voltage is correct for Finland (220 VAC?).
I will get those automatic mechanical window openers; I think HF sells them too. We have a solar cell, which could run a 12V fan, so it would make the fan run, when needed at the hottest days.
Both me and DH are electrical engineers, so we have ideas how to use or modify all our 120VAC equipment to run with 220-240VAC. We have quite many transformers, which we can use to lower the voltage.

I'm getting really excited about the coming season. I may not have yet time to get the GH going on our own yard this year, but my MIL has two of them and I am sure she will let me plant tomatoes there, if I supply plants for her too.

I do already have couple of those flimsy plastic temporary greenhouses, which I can use to harden seedlings and maybe use to protect some potted hot pepper plants in the end of the season.