View Single Post
Old November 14, 2007   #21
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

my dinosaur kale (lacinato) didn't do so well this year. my red russian and white russian kale did very well. red russian is a standby in our garden. we eat it cooked as a side dish. we also throw in a small amount of it in our vita-mix when we make fruit smoothies as a way to get greens into our 3 year old son. we start with frozen bananas, wild or tame blue berries, mixed berries, some soy milk, and we vary it with an orange, carrot, coconut, pineapple, dates, cocoa powder, winter squash, walnuts, sun flower seeds, etc. its just matter of finding the right balance of ingredients. you won't taste the kale once everything is blended.
we also use a bunch of it when we make vegetable soup.
no recipe really, my wife, and i have made it so often in variations, we just do it on the fly. the basic ingredients are a large onion, peppers, zucchini, carrot, celery, garlic, all chopped. add potatos if you want. i'll throw in about a cup of frozen peas and corn. some mushrooms if you like them. about 2 cups of beans such as garbanzo, black, red or some other bean. mix it up if you want. we use a 28 ounce can or equivalent of diced tomatos, an equal amount of water, and a can of tomato paste. seasonings can be whatever you like. i'll add a couple tablespoons of nutritional yeast, mckays or bills best seasoning, we like tarragon, but you can use basil, oregano, thyme or spice of your choice. throw in a bunch of kale, cabbage, bok choy, chard or some other green. see what i mean by no set recipe. just use what you have on hand. it gonna taste good.

keith in calumet
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote