View Single Post
Old January 4, 2024   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

As a long time user of rootstock tomatoes in grafting for disease I have found the one that suits me the best for the problems I face down here in lower Alabama. I can't understand grafting in Canada because the soil diseases are so rare up there.

I guess you could graft for more vigorous plants and I have experienced that with some rootstock but rarely got a lot more production of fruit. Some plants when grafted to some rootstock will have a huge increase in vine growth and vigor. The only ones I experienced that phenomena with were from Paramount Seed. Multifort and Estamino were the only two that worked at all down here for me. I have heard that Maxifort is also good at improving vigor.

You do realize that you need to start your seeds about a month early to be able to come close to planting at your usual time. I start my seed for grafting between Christmas and the end of January and rarely get grafted plants out before the end of March. If you have a good heated and cooled greenhouse you can control planting time better than I can.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote