View Single Post
Old November 28, 2023   #17
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Okay so here it is nearly December of 2023 and I'm re-reading this thread. It seemed like Rockman found the best method for the Ohio deck pot seascapes was to bury the formerly potted plants in a southern exposure bed next to the garage and covered with pine needles. And in the other bed. Then dig up the holding bed and re-pot in spring.

Last spring I ordered bare root Seascapes to make a bed at the comm garden. Bare roots were set at 9" spacing in April, single row down the middle of a 30' raised bed. They put up some few berries before the heat of summer, put out a lot of runners during the heat, then some berries afterward. Honestly it is not a great spot, rather dry, and not too many people helped with weeding. We put down wood chips in May or June to keep the weeds down. Mistake or not, I'm not sure.

I don't know what will happen with the bed next year, maybe turned back to grass if no one wants to continue it, but right now it is filled with runners and it is finally getting cold.

Next year I want to do my own strawberries in towers/pots. I had intended to harvest plenty of crowns/runners to do pots/towers next Spring but nothing came of it.

At this point I don't know if I should go over and straw mulch the whole bed and wait until Spring 24 to harvest crowns for transplant to cups for towers? Or go get them now and put them in cups that I have to babysit somehow until spring? Or dig some now and put them in a holding bed? Rockman did the holding bed next to the garage in fall 2022 but it sounds like that was late Sept not late Nov.

What do you all think? Best plan (at this point) to have plenty of starts for next year and keep the bed going as well?
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote