View Single Post
Old September 23, 2023   #5
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutOrchids View Post
I'm over on the NW side of CT on the NY border.

Of two Sunsugars - one was a usual monster, sweet and productive while the other struggled, failed to produce a ton and the fruits had tougher skins and little flavor.

Lynnwood was my first to go. I had to travel, made the decision to put my plants in the ground before I left because the long-range forecast was decent and I was relying on my 22 year old to address my dogs, cats, fish, chickens and just felt the plants might push him over the edge. We had that late frost, he covered everything really well but even so, Lynnwood (who was quite protected in the midst of others) bit the dust.

Flavor Bomb - who I started from seed from the grocery store, was an odd sole. Would grow a truss, flower, flowers would break off. Did that for ages remaining about 3 feet in height. After weeks, the plant simply exploded, it's a monster, with simply hundreds of cherries on it. BUT, the skins are a bit tougher than grocery store bought, taste is good, but they take forever to ripen. I have enjoyed the combo of red and yellow cherries this year in dishes, so may look for another red for next year.
Love your Picture Amen!!

Kosovo - a shocker this year. I have grown for years but this year it was a fail compared to previous years with only 6 fruits. It will be back though, I have too many good years.

Dester - won't grow again. Tried last year after reading so much about taste - it was a disappointment. It brought a new meaning to the term 'wispy'. Most fruits didn't develop properly and were only 2" or so in diameter. It just struggled both years, this year it was pitiful and I won't waste the space again. Zero useful fruit.

Anna's Noire - won't repeat. Another I was so looking forward to tasting. The fruit was watering, tasteless, unusual looking but not worth the space it took up, only a few fruit.

Kellogg's Breakfast - grew years ago, then experimented with other yellow/oranges, was indecisive between this and KBX for another go round, won't repeat. Ok, it sat until August, there are better options.

Cowboy and Tundra - first year in my garden for both. I just about gave up hope for them, not sure they like our heat. Once they decided it wasn't going to go away and to just deal with it, they kicked in gear and, oh my.... beautiful large, flavorful. I think the skin on Tundra is a tad tougher than Cowboy, both have the most amazing flavor and are so solid and meaty. Husband tasted his first Cowboy, which was 20 ounces, and said it was coming back - told me we should grow a garden full of just them. I think the largest was about 22 ounces with both plants fruits ranging from 14 - 20 ounces.

My most productive? GGWT.... she keeps going and going and going and going. We did have quite a few fussed blossoms this year which I haven't had in the past. Next year if it reoccurs, I will pluck them and maybe replace my seed source. Amazing productivity.

I had some okay productivity with Rosovyi Myod, NAR, 1884 and 2 hybrid; Buffalosteak and Early Girl. I struggled a tad more this year - not a fan of spraying, then it got hot and humid and I had to. Probably would be better off to bite the bullet and do it regularly.

My most impressive, to me, newbie was Pomodoro Cuore Antico di Aqui Terme.... holy cow, the most massive paste tomato ever. I grew it and Howard German. HG produced a lot of fruits, but they were tiny, 2 - 3 ounces and more watery than a paste should be. PCAdAT - when it's listed as a monster paste, they really weren't exaggerating. And very, very good taste - meaty, sweet, not what you expected when slicing up a 'paste' tomato. VERY little seed and gel. You can hold these with 2 hands and I have big hands - bigger than a softball. Not hard to determine who will be staying vs going.....

Rest of the garden - my celery up and rotted - every plant, never happened before. Everything else grew like monsters - except eggplant - need to go back to varieties I've grown before - poor production.

Here's PCAdAT with a Howard German.... those weren't even the biggest fruits of that plant.

[IMG][/IMG]
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote