View Single Post
Old September 11, 2023   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I have learned to live with my tree roots, as removing the trees is not an option. We planted a couple of rows of 12 inch high baby spruce trees when we moved onto this property 40 some years ago. At the time, it seemed like the garden plot was far enough away to not be affected. Now that the trees are mature, the roots creep into the raised beds for the closest 3-4 ft on the north sides of the beds. I used to dig and pull by hand, but my aging back demanded I get a small Mantis tiller to help rip them out. I till in the fall once the beds are cleared, and then again in the spring before planting. The tomato plants at the affected ends of the beds start looking a little starved after mid-season, I assume the tree roots have invaded again by that time. I don't know if dumping late extra fertilizer on the plants would help, or just feed the trees roots. I get enough tomatoes from my garden overall that I don't really worry too much about the reduced harvest from the end plants. But I only have one side to worry about, it sounds like you may have enough trees to surround the garden and come in from all sides. I don't envy you the raspberry roots, I made the mistake of planting raspberries along one edge of the garden, and it took several years of digging out the strays to get them all.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote