View Single Post
Old September 2, 2023   #28
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
My farming Research on our Farming Bushel 'Basket' Systems; shows forth in exciting Legsl Farm History that led to many Acts of Congress.

Finding the Following for me to learn from [Noting; In the United States, first half of the 20ᵗʰ century, Congress defined a number of standard baskets.

In 1916,¹ Congress prescribed dimensions for 2-quart, 4-quart, and 12-quart “Climax baskets” for grapes, other fruits and vegetables and mushrooms, and required that the capacities of any baskets used for berries, small fruits, and so on, be one dry half pint, one dry pint, one dry quart, or multiples of the dry quart. <what about June 11, 1934, c 447, §1, 48 Stat.930?>

In 1928,² they passed a law requiring "hampers and round stave baskets” to contain either 1/8, ½, 5/8, ¾, 1¼, 1½, or 2 bushels, while splint baskets had to contain either 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, or 32 dry quarts. In 1954, 3/8-bushel baskets were added, and in 1964,⁴ 1/16, 7/8, and 1 1/8-bushel baskets, and 11-quart and 14-quart splint baskets.

Finally deciding nothing was gained by regulating basket sizes, Congress repealed all of the above laws in 1968.⁵

1. August 31, 1916, c 426 §1 and 2, 39 Stat. 673.

United States. Congress. House. Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures.
To Fix the Standards for Berry Baskets: Hearings before the Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures, House of Representatives, Sixty-fourth Congress, First Session, on H.R. 14945. May 4, 1916.
Washington: U.S.G.P.O., 1916.

United States. Congress. House. Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures. To Standardize Berry Baskets: Hearings before the Committee on Coinage, Weights and Measures, House of Representatives, Sixty-fourth Congress, First Session, on June 6, 1916.
Washington: U.S.G.P.O., 1916.

Besides H.R. 14945, also considered H.R. 16065 and H.R. 16174.

2. May 21, 1928, c. 664, §1, 45 Stat. 685.

3. June 28, 1954, c. 406, §1, 68 Stat. 301.

4. August 30, 1964, Public Law 88-516, §1, 78 Stat. 697.

5. October 22 1968, Public Law 90-628, §1(a) and (b), 82 Stat. 1320.]

I am so happy the Nuns in New Jersey helped me with my dyslexia as a child and got me to believe in myself and want to be a farmer. This New System is not known by Small Poor farmers and female farmers like me who learn farming skills each summer from my Aunt Annie who married into our family from a Native American tribe on the South Carolina & South Carolina border. will be properly researched by me, Amen!!
I also had Law Students to help me too,
Continuing my Research on our Farming Bushel 'Basket' Systems For Farmers

I received My Beautiful Bushel Baskets and they are just too Beautiful to display on my Market. As a Farmer and a full-time housewife, I prefer to decorate my house with these Beautiful Baskets, Amen!! But, These Bushel Baskets is an act of Congress to Ensure our Crops meet the guidelines to be calculated properly by the USDA for many Programs. This is exciting to me, and maybe our "Great Country" will get more Farmers in the future if children learn this information in school, Amen!!

My Market is self-service with plastic Basket displays, full of Colors as my historical Heirloom Tomatoes and winter vegetables. I will spend today making a permanent lockdown to display my Bushel Baskets for security. My Bushel Baskets are well-made and just Beautiful. They are Bigger than all my other Baskets. My Pear tree has measured over 4 Bushels Basket and the tree is still full of pears. My New variety of "Heirloom Iris Candy Cherry Tomatoes " came in yesterday as 1 Bushel. These Iris Cherry Tomatoes produce a prolific amount of Cherry Tomatoes every week, growing over 18 feet tall.

Maybe we here at Tomtoville can help with "Oprah and the Rock" helping the Native Farmers of Maui measure their crops to rebuild their farms, Amen!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote