View Single Post
Old October 14, 2022   #5
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

My season was so so. Rainfall was well below average, and very spotty. I don't care how much you can irrigate, nothing beats natural rainfall IMHO. That said, it seemed wetter than it actually was, and in hindsight I should have been watering deeper/more frequently than I was probably. Temperatures were also all over the place, I would guess that if you averaged things out, it was overall cooler than normal. That said, hitting upper 90's for several days in April and again in May didn't help anything. I picked everything the 7th and 8th, the morning of the 8th was a heavy frost/freeze event that would have ended the season anyway. A full 3 weeks before last year.

Overall, not a failure of a year, but not as good as last year. Both overall production and individual fruit sizes and weights seemed down this year. The two bright spots were the Marzano Fire and the cherry tomatoes. Marzano Fire production was probably 65% of what I anticipated, and cherry tomato production was at or over expectations. By the middle of September I was almost tired of eating cherry tomatoes lol.