View Single Post
Old October 18, 2007   #10
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jeff, I don't know why LaRatte would be priced higher. I grew it this year and it was the most productive of the four fingerling potato varieties I grew. I'd think more productive would mean more seed to sell and a lower price. Usually, vegetables that produce fewer seeds, warrant a higher price. Maybe their popularity is jacking the price up. Although, I wouldn't know if they are popular or not.

I really like LaRatte. It gave me pretty nice tubers. I noticed that they grew closer to the surface than my other potatoes, so they were easier to find when harvesting and I was able to go out and grab a few whenever we wanted potatoes for dinner. This picture doesn't show that I harvested quite a few that were much longer. They must have been at the bottom of the baskets. I will be growing this potato again next year.

Also wanted to say that I got my potato seed from Milk Ranch. I didn't know they changed the name, so I'm glad I found this thread. I didn't have any problems ordering last year at all. I think I remember that they did have more pictures on the old site. If you click the link that says "blog" on the new site, it does say that they are in the process of adding the photos to the new site. Anyway, I thought their seed potatoes were good. They arrived at the time I asked, they were still firm and looked good. I thought their prices were the best I found online. Not sure if that is still the same with the new site, but I have a feeling it is.

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote