View Single Post
Old March 25, 2022   #10
swordy
Tomatovillian™

As PaulF said above, I have also noticed that hybrids growing next to heirlooms/OP tend to behave almost the same way in diseases. Last season it was really bad for me and by mid August all crop was completely destroyed. It started from a spot where the heirlooms were situated and gradually spread to all plants, killing some of them faster than others, but all died eventually. And you know, it was the first time I said I would try different plant nurseries and I bought several different types of hybrids, that vendors said actually that they were newer and better hybrids (and since I bought them locally they should have also been ideal for our place). To tell the truth, compared to heirlooms/OP in terms of productivity there was no match. Ok, maybe the heirlooms I grew last year weren't ideal for my place. But as Paul said, I'd prefer a lower productivity and better taste, than high productivity and a moderate good taste. And since they can all catch a disease and die, then there is no need for going to hybrids..
swordy is offline   Reply With Quote