View Single Post
Old October 26, 2021   #23
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Found this thread when looking for comments on white tomatoes. I've come to the GWR and white tomatoes somewhat recently having mostly grown the more colourful varieties (blacks, bicolors) for many years.

This season I grew Lucky Tiger and Green Ripper. Lucky Tiger varied this year from what I observed last year--both times I got the seeds from Artisan Farms. This year's fruit developed almost no reddish blush as it ripened, and I preferred the taste of last year's fruit which I thought had a clear sweet streak right through the core, which was mostly missing in this year's fruit. Both years the plants grew tall and were loaded with fruit, which unfortunately tend to split. As I liked the taste of last year's fruit so much I grew it again this year, but I'm not sure I'll grow it next year.

Green Ripper was new to me this year; seed from J&L Gardens. Fruit were mostly green when ripe but developed some red/gold striping. Very pretty with a little pointy end to the fruit, and quite tasty.

And then I grew a white tomato from seed I obtained from a seller called Forgotten Heirlooms. This had the irresistible name of Bugtussle Buttermilk Wonder. I have not seen this in any other reference and wonder if anyone on the forum has grown it before. It's a white medium beefsteak tomato that has just a pale yellow tint when ripe, nice firm texture and a well balanced, sweet, rich flavour that took me by surprise. It was one of the tastiest of the two dozen varieties I grew this year and I will probably grow it again next year. I ordered additional seed and also saved some from the biggest fruit. I typically grow only one plant per variety so can't comment on variability but the fruit definitely met the description on the seller's website.

My growing season probably ends tonight with the downpour currently going on outdoors, though with luck I may yet pull off some Lucky Tigers if they don't split.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote